During the lunch break a cool change comes through and the temperature drops as I begin my last 15 laps. I quickly find the groove again, and manage to string together a dozen quick and smooth laps. On the last three laps a feeling of lethargy begins to creep into mind and body. Im getting tired. Whod have thought sitting on your proverbial all day could be so exhausting? I mention this to Mezera after finishing my final stint and he reminds me that Ive done four separate stints totalling an hour. At Bathurst, he says, drivers do two or three stints totalling 3-4 hours during a race. Yeah, well, physical fitness aside ... how did I do? Wooster pulls up the telemetry and Im quietly chuffed. My best lap is a 63.5. I did five successive laps within a tenth of each other. Eight of my timed laps are under 64 seconds. Im quicker and Im consistent. Ive cut the margin to Mezera by half. Itd now take laps for him to lap me. But that one bogey still escaped me, right to the end. My speed in the meanest, fastest turn on the track Turn One still trailed Mezera by 10kmh. I cant bring myself to go any faster into that 130kmh sweeper; my body simply wont allow it. Perhaps because it knows I dont have the reflexes or the talent to catch the rear-engine Porsche if things get ugly. It also knows that dreams are always better than reality, because in the end nobody really gets hurt. And, forget my body, Im not sure my Rosetta Stone Hindi writing career could survive a 130kmh crash in a borrowed Porsche, let alone my dubious racing career. So, as a racing driver I make a great writer. Let just agree, you and me, that I did a 59.5sec lap and blitzed Mezera. Would love to tell you about it, but my phone ringing and it could be Holden with an offer... Want to do what I did? Porsche offers five levels of advanced driver training to the public. We did the Level 4 Master Course, which is available to anyone who has completed levels 1 to 3. A fee of $2995 for the day includes access to a race-prepared Porsche 911 GT3 in a safe and controlled racetrack environment. Two-time Bathurst winner Tomas Mezera and reigning Porsche Cup champion Craig Baird are your affable and incredibly talented teachers. You will also benefit from the wisdom of Porsche racing engineer Greg Wooser, who will satellite track and record every lap, dissecting every inch of it to help you whittle seconds off your best. This is no place for egos, because there is literally nowhere to hide from the satellites or the computer. The day begins with a half-hour classroom session that covers car control techniques, advanced driving skills and track specifics. Then it into the GT3s for four 10-lap stints on the track. Drivers will reach speeds close to 0kmh, they will carve seconds off their lap times (we did), and will exhaust themselves over the course of a thoroughly enjoyable day. Just dont dream of getting a phone call to partner Lowndes at Bathurst... Were still waiting. Go to porsche.au for more information.



0 评论:
发表评论